A good woman is hard to find, and worth far more than diamonds. Her husband trusts her without reserve, and never has reason to regret it. (Proverbs 31:10-11).
When you think you’ve found the one, listen to your heart and consider these traits:
1.Does she have too much junk in her trunk? If she’s always got baggage and she’s going nowhere, move on. If she’s looking for a savior, emotionally or financially, move on. You can’t save her.
2. What’s behind her rack? She’s not immune to gravity. Beauty will attract you; it’ll also distract you. It won’t sustain a marriage.
You’ll notice her physical appearance first. Don’t stop there. Look beyond her body. Examine her heart.
3. Can you trust her? Character is important. Listen to what other people say about her. If she lies to other people, she’ll lie to you.
4. Does she wear tiny dresses? A good woman doesn’t need to advertise.
5. Is she your “Robin?” Batman had Robin. Shrek had Donkey. Lucy had Ethel. Clark Kent had Lois Lane. Does she have your back? Are you better with her by your side?
6. Does she want to be treated like a lady? In today’s hyper-feminist culture, some women resent being treated like ladies. She’ll relish your desire to take care of her not rebel against it. Treat her like a lady not because of who she is but because of who you are.
7. Does she want to be led by you? She understands God’s plan for marriage. She’ll be willing to acquiesce sometimes to keep peace in your marriage. She understands the relationship is more valuable than being right.
8. Is she smart? Not the 2 plus 2 kind, although that’s nice, too. She’s wise. She has godly opinions and views. She’s discerning, and she ponders before jumping in.
9. Does she respect you? She thinks you’re a man of character. She knows you’re going to make mistakes but believes you’re an honorable man. Be a man worthy of her respect.
10. Does she encourage you to dream? She’ll be the wind beneath your wings not tar on them.
11. Do her values line up with yours? If you’re incompatible or she isn’t a Christian, move on. Walk away before you commit your heart.
12. Will she love you on your bad days? She’ll love you when you’re grumpy. When you go to her to apologize, she’ll accept and forgive you.
13. Will she fight for your marriage? Every marriage goes through valleys. She believes marriage is forever. She’s willing to navigate the bumps in the road and knows on either side of a valley is a mountaintop.
14. Will she massage your feet sometimes? This isn’t about being a servant; it’s about sacrifice and humility. She’ll go the extra mile for you. She’ll live a sacrificial life, putting the needs and sometimes wants of others before her own.
15. Is she okay knowing you love God more than you love her? She knows your relationship with God makes you who you are and will keep you committed to her.
When you find her Son, love her, cherish her and never let her go.